Can you snake a condensate line?
You can snake a clogged A/C drain line to remove blockages. Traditional plumbing snakes usually cannot navigate the 90* turns of PVC elbows, but a smart snake can.
How do you snake an AC drain line?
Step 2. Unclog Your AC Drain Line
- Pour ¼ cup of distilled white vinegar down the drain.
- Attach a shop vac to the drain and use until water flows freely into the collection canister.
- Insert a long plumber’s snake into the drain and remove the clog.
How do you unclog a condensate line?
How to Unclog Your AC Condensate Drain Line
- Turn off your air conditioner.
- Remove the cap from the pipe.
- Check to see if there is any debris stuck in the drain.
- Remove any visible debris and retest for proper drainage.
- Pour in Vinegar.
- Replace the drain cap.
- Remove the drain cap.
Can you snake a PVC drain?
PVC pipes are an improvement over cast-iron pipes, because they have smooth walls that don’t allow debris to cling, so if you have to clear a clogged drain deep in the pipe, you can usually do it with a plunger or drain snake.
Can I use Drano in my AC drain line?
Drano is designed for food and grease so it won’t work in your AC drain pipes. I don’t recommend using Drano for this situation. If you want to use bleach, use 5 parts water to 1 part bleach.
How do you know if your AC drain line is clogged?
Signs the AC Drain Line is Clogged
- Musty, moldy smell near your indoor unit or in air from the registers/vents.
- Standing water near the indoor unit.
- Water damage in areas near the indoor unit.
- AC system is not cooling your home.
- AC system shuts down or doesn’t turn on.
How much does it cost to unclog AC drain?
Clogged Drain Line If the condensate drain line becomes clogged, water can back up and overflow into your home, resulting in a messy leak. To flush the line or repair it can cost anywhere from $75-$250. In the case that the evaporator coil needs replacing, you are would pay between $400 to $950.
How do I know if my condensate line is clogged?
What happens if condensate line is clogged?
A Clogged Line Will Freeze Your AC System A clogged condensate drain line will trap water in your air conditioner. As a result, the evaporator coil will eventually turn to ice. The moisture in the drain line can also freeze, which will cause your air conditioner to turn off.
Can a power snake break a pipe?
The aggressive force from a snake or improper use of a power snake may lead to cracks or complete pipe breakage.
Is bleach or vinegar better for AC drain line?
We recommend using vinegar instead of a bleach solution because bleach can be harmful to your AC system if your drain line has copper tubing. Using vinegar will not damage your system. Spilling bleach can also ruin carpet or clothing, whereas vinegar will just leave a strong odor.