How can I tell if my baby has mental retardation?
What are the signs of intellectual disability in children?
- Rolling over, sitting up, crawling, or walking late.
- Talking late or having trouble with talking.
- Slow to master things like potty training, dressing, and feeding themselves.
- Difficulty remembering things.
- Inability to connect actions with consequences.
Can mental retardation be detected at birth?
 Although we do not know how many mentally retarded children are born in this country and what is the social, financial, and emotional cost of this condition in our country, we know very well that Down’s syndrome and Fragile X syndrome are two common causes of mental retardation and can easily be diagnosed during …
What causes mental retardation at birth?
Mental retardation may be caused by an inherited abnormality of the genes, such as fragile X syndrome . Fragile X, a defect in the chromosome that determines sex, is the most common inherited cause of mental retardation.
How do you check for retardation?
The Wechsler and Binet scales remain the two dominant, language-loaded, individually administered intelligence tests used for the diagnosis of mental retardation in the United States.
Can you tell if a newborn is disabled?
Spotting the signs babies may have trouble feeding, for example sucking and digesting. babies may be delayed learning to sit or stand. pre-school children may be slow to talk or have difficulty pronouncing words and short sentences, or learning new words.
How do you know if your baby is special needs?
Up to 6 months
- Doesn’t coo or smile.
- Doesn’t react to loud noises or turn to follow sounds and voices.
- Has difficulty holding head up by age three months.
- Has difficulty following objects or people with their eyes.
- Arms or legs are stiff, or posture is floppy or limp.
What are the characteristics of a child with mental retardation?
How Do I Know If My Child Has an Intellectual Disability?
- Sit up, crawl, or walk later than other children.
- Learn to talk later or have trouble speaking.
- Have trouble understanding social rules.
- Have trouble seeing the consequences of their actions.
- Have trouble solving problems.
- Have trouble thinking logically.
What are common birth defects?
Here is a list of the top 10 most common birth defects, according to CDC statistics.
- Congenital heart defects (CHD) Occurrence rate: 1 in every 110 births.
- Ventricular septal defect.
- Down syndrome.
- Pulmonary valve atresia and stenosis.
- Cleft lip with cleft palate.
- Cleft palate.