How do I get my computer to recognize my Mac-formatted external hard drive?
Connect your Mac-formatted drive to your Windows system, open HFSExplorer, and click File > Load File System From Device. HFSExplorer can automatically locate any connected devices with HFS+ file systems and open them. You can then extract files from the HFSExplorer window to your Windows drive.
Can I use a Mac-formatted external hard drive on PC?
A hard drive formatted for use in a Mac has either an HFS or HFS+ file system. For this reason, a Mac-formatted hard drive is not directly compatible, nor readable by a Windows computer.
How do I find my formatted Mac hard drive on Windows?
To use HFSExplorer, connect your Mac-formatted drive to your Windows PC and launch HFSExplorer. Click the “File” menu and select “Load File System From Device.” It will automatically locate the connected drive, and you can load it. You’ll see the contents of the HFS+ drive in the graphical window.
Why does my external hard drive work on Mac but not PC?
It appears that you have formatted your external hard drive in Mac OS Extended format, which is not supported in Windows. Windows operating systems will support FAT 32, NTFS file format.
How do I convert a Mac formatted drive to a Windows drive?
Right-click in the unallocated space on the initialized disk and select New Simple Volume. Use the wizard to create a partition with the NTFS or FAT32 file system. The drive will now be formatted for use by Windows systems. There will be no space wasted by protected Mac partitions.
Why wont my hard drive show up on my PC?
If your new hard disk is not detected by or Disk Manager, it could be because of a driver issue, connection issue, or faulty BIOS settings. These can be fixed. Connection issues can be from a faulty USB port or a damaged cable. Incorrect BIOS settings may cause the new hard drive to be disabled.
How do I convert my Mac external hard drive to Windows?
Format a disk for Windows computers in Disk Utility on Mac
- In the Disk Utility app on your Mac, choose View > Show All Devices.
- In the sidebar, select the disk you want to format to use with Windows computers.
- Click the Erase button in the toolbar.
How do I transfer my external hard drive from Mac to PC?
Transferring Data From a Mac to PC via an External Hard Drive
- Connect the external hard drive to your Mac using its included USB cable.
- Double-click the external hard drive’s icon that appears on your Mac desktop.
- Drag and drop the files and folders you want to transfer into the hard drive’s window.
How do I get my external hard drive to work on Mac and PC?
How to format an external drive in OS X
- Select the drive you want to format.
- Enter the amount of space you want to set aside for Time Machine.
- Select the new untitled partition so we can format it as exFAT for use with both Mac and Windows.
- Give the partition a name and select exFAT for the format.