How do you get out of Air Force base housing?

Increasing Rank It varies from service-to-service and base-to-base, but in general, you can expect to be allowed to move off base and get paid for it, when you make the pay grade of E-4 (over 4 years of service), or E-5. Typical housing allowances will cover all or a majority of the rent for members qualified for it.

Can you live off base in Misawa?

Misawa Air Base is under an On-Base First Policy which means all Military on Accompanied Orders will reside on-base. Off-base housing is generally not an option for Military Accompanied families not an option unless you meet certain criteria such as an over 4 bedroom housing entitlement.

How can I stay in Japan after military?

In order to obtain a visa to separate and stay in Japan, you need conditional approval from the Commanding Officer. In addition, you need to request a visa at the local Japanese Immigration Office in person.

When can Airmen live off base?

All single airmen in paygrades E-1 to E-3, and E-4s with less than three years of service, are provided unaccompanied housing. Air Force policy allows E-4s and above with at least three years of service to live off base, regardless of the on-base dormitory occupancy rate.

Is Misawa a good base?

Misawa Air Base was a great working environment. The area is very family oriented and the base is nice. My family really enjoyed living in the area and I enjoyed working with the multi-cultural co-workers.

What is a SOFA visa?

SOFA stands for Status of Forces Agreement. It is a diplomatic arrangement between the United States and a foreign government detailing the rights and privileges of service members and their families assigned to that country. The SOFA stamp is a passport stamp that functions like a visa.

What is the SOFA agreement in Japan?

The authorities of Japan shall have the right to exercise exclusive jurisdiction over members of the United States armed forces, the civilian component, and their dependents with respect to offenses, including offenses relating to the security of Japan, punishable by its law but not by the law of the United States.