How do you introduce a block quote?
Introduce the block quote with a colon (unless the context of your quote requires different punctuation) and start it on a new line. Indent the entire quote 1-inch from the left margin and double-space it (even if the rest of your paper is not double-spaced).
Do you have to quote a paraphrase?
While paraphrases do not require quotation marks, they do require citations. Be sure to change both the words and word order of the original source in order to avoid plagiarism.
How do you block quote in Word?
- Hit enter before the first word of the quote, and after the last word of the quote.
- Highlight the text.
- Right click and select paragraph.
- Under indent change left to . 5″
What is unacceptable paraphrasing?
The following is an example of UNACCEPTABLE paraphrasing — or plagiarism — of the above passage: To paraphrase without plagiarizing, writers must – – Use their own words to convey the information – Use their own sentence structure – Cite the source and page number.
How do you do a block quote in APA?
APA Style Guide: Block Quote Block quotes are used for direct quotations that are longer than 40 words. They should be offset from the main text and do not include quotation marks. Introduce the block quote on a new line. Indent the entire quote ½ inch or 5-7 spaces; the block quote may be single-spaced.
How long is a block quote?
around 40 words
Do block quotes need quotation marks?
Unlike quotes integrated into your text, block quotes do not need quotation marks. Note the placement of the punctuation. After a block quote, the punctuation is placed before the citation, not after.
What is direct quotation?
A direct quotation is when you take another person’s words and place them in your own document. These must always be placed inside quotation marks and given appropriate attribution (MLA, APA, Chicago, etc). When should I quote? Not all evidence needs to be presented in the form of direct quotation.
How do you block quote in MLA?
An MLA block quote is set on a new line, indented 0.5 inches, with no quotation marks….To format a block quote in MLA:
- Introduce the quote with a colon and set it on a new line.
- Indent the whole quote 0.5 inches from the left margin.
- Place the MLA in-text citation after the period at the end of the block quote.
How do you block quote in an essay?
- Block quotations start on their own line.
- The entire block quotation is indented 0.5 inches, the same as the indentation for a new paragraph, and is double spaced.
- Block quotations are not surrounded by any quotation marks.
- The punctuation at the end of the block quotation goes before the citation.