What is SQL Server Agent XPs?
Microsoft SQL Server Agent is a Windows service that acts as a job scheduling tool within SQL Server. For SQL Server Agent to manage jobs, schedules, rights etc it interacts through the SQL Engine using a number of extended stored procedures. These are known as the Agent XPs.
How do I enable SQL Server Agent agent XPs disabled?
The configuration parameter Agent XPs is disabled To enable Agent XP, we must change the configuration value using the exec sp_configure command. The sp_configure is the system stored procedure, and to execute it, the user must be a member of the sysadmin fixed server role on the SQL Server instance.
How do I find the agent XPs in SQL Server?
- Run sp_configure to check ‘Agent XPs’ value.
- The above screenshot shows that advanced options is not enabled on this instance, so we must first enable advanced option to see all of the advanced configuration values.
- Run sp_configure again to check the value for Agent XPs.
How do I enable SQL Server Agent?
How Do I Enable SQL Server Agent Service?
- To start this process on your SQL Server, launch SQL Server Configuration Manager.
- Right-click the SQL Server Agent service and click Properties.
- On the Properties Window, select an appropriate account.
- Change the Start Mode to Automatic and then click OK to close the window.
What is Xp_sqlagent_enum_jobs?
xp_sqlagent_enum_jobs is an undocumented (and thus, unsupported) extended procedure that gives information on whether a job is currently running, when it last ran, when it runs next, etc.
Why is SQL Server Agent stopped?
This error may be caused by an unhandled Win32 or C++ exception, or by an access violation encountered during exception handling. Check the SQL error log for any related stack dumps or messages. This exception forces SQL Server to shutdown.
How do I start SQL Server Agent in SQL?
To start, stop, or restart the SQL Server Agent Service
- In Object Explorer, click the plus sign to expand the server where you want to manage SQL Server Agent Service.
- Right-click SQL Server Agent, and then select either Start, Stop, or Restart.
- In the User Account Control dialog box, click Yes.
Why would you use SQL Agent?
SQL Server Agent uses SQL Server to store job information. Jobs contain one or more job steps. Each step contains its own task, for example, backing up a database. SQL Server Agent can run a job on a schedule, in response to a specific event, or on demand.
Does SQL Server Agent need to be running?
Microsoft SQL Server Agent must be running as a service in order to automate administrative tasks. For more information, see Configure SQL Server Agent. Object Explorer only displays the SQL Server Agent node if you have permission to use it.
What is the SQL Server Agent service used for?
How do I fix SQL Server Agent stopped automatically?
Check the SQL error log for any related stack dumps or messages. This exception forces SQL Server to shutdown. To recover from this error, restart the server (unless SQLAgent is configured to auto restart).