What is the best depth for a bookshelf?
10 to 12 inches
Shelf depth for a general purpose bookshelf is usually 10 to 12 inches. Shelf spacing will generally range from 7 to 15 inches with 8 to 12 inches being common for bookshelves. To prevent the case from looking and being top-heavy, use a smaller shelf spacing near the top and a larger one near the bottom.
How do you maximize a deep book shelf?
There are some ways you can maximize the space on your shelves, too:
- Go horizontal.
- Use your shelves for support.
- Use books usefully.
- Stack books in unused spaces—under beds, in empty drawers, under coffee tables.
- Hang shelves from any space that’s not being used.
How do you style a deep bookshelf?
Deep bookshelves give you the luxury to play with layers. Lean artwork along the back of the shelves, and anchor them with books or heavier objects. To decorate the bookcase, place a few small pieces of art near the front of the shelves to give them depth.
How deep is a library shelf?
Shelf depth can range anywhere from six to 16 inches. Generally speaking, a shelf depth of 10 inches is the most common, and holds most paperback and large print books, as well as CDs and DVDs. Oversized materials such as newspapers, magazines and encyclopedias require shelf depth of at least 12 inches.
How deep is a typical built in bookshelf?
around 12 inches
Built ins are flush against a wall and will generally have a depth of a regular bookshelf, around 12 inches.
How deep is a Billy bookcase?
IKEA Billy Bookcases come in height variations from tall at 93.25” (237 cm) to short at 41.75” (106 cm). Widths range from wide designs at 31.5” (80 cm) to thin designs at 15.75” (40 cm). All bookcases have a depth of 11” (28 cm).
How do you fit a bookshelf in a small space?
It’s Surprisingly Hard to Squeeze a Bookcase into a Small Living Room, but These 8 Spaces Prove It Can Be Done
- Slab-style bookshelves over sofas.
- Floating bookshelves in nooks.
- Stack it up in a corner.
- Make use of your radiator.
- Create a floating horizontal unit.
- Work your doorway.
- Divide and conquer.
- Stacks over a sideboard.
How do you make a bookshelf look less cluttered?
Here’s what six experts suggested.
- First, Remove Everything.
- Add Large Baskets to the Two Bottom Shelves.
- Add Greenery.
- Group Books More Thoughtfully.
- Add Things That Aren’t Photos or Books.
- Consider Groupings of Three & Small Vignettes.
- Play Around With The Space Between The Shelves.
What do you do with a deep shelf?
Here are three ideas:
- Never underestimate the power of a basket. Using a basket, bin, or other similar storage container is the easiest way to increase your deep shelf’s accessibility.
- Put a rod up in there.
- You don’t have to fill it just because it’s there.
How deep should Floating bookshelves be?
For example, if you are floating a bookshelf, typically your shelf won’t need to be deeper than 10″ since most books are less than 9″ deep. If you are floating kitchen shelves, 12″ usually works since most cabinets and the plates, cups, and bowls they house, are 12″ or less deep.