Who qualifies for resettlement?
2) Who qualifies for resettlement? Resettlement under the auspices of UNHCR is only available to mandate refugees who have a continued need for international protection. The search for durable solutions is a central part of UNHCR’s mandate.
Does California accept refugees?
Although in recent years the number of refugees admitted into the U.S. has been reduced significantly, California remains as one of the state’s receiving the largest number of refugees. Since fiscal year 2002, California has resettled the most refugees, or 108,600 individuals.
How does the refugee resettlement program work?
The US has Resettlement Support Centers (RSCs) abroad to process refugee cases and to coordinate administrative aspects of the program. RSCs serve to pre-screen refugees once they’ve been referred by the UNHCR to ensure they fall within US-designated nationalities and processing priorities.
What are the 9 US resettlement agencies?
United States Resettlement Partners
- Bureau of Population, Refugees and Migration (PRM) Department of State.
- Office of Refugee Resettlement (ORR),
- United States Citizen and Immigration Services.
- State Refugee Coordinators.
- State Health Coordinators.
- Refugee Council USA (RCUSA)
- Refugees International (RI)
How can I get resettlement?
How to become a resettlement refugee. You have to contact the local field office of the UNHCR (external website). The UNHCR will first consider whether or not you are a refugee. They will also consider if you can return to your home country, or continue to stay in the country you are in now.
How long does the refugee resettlement process take?
An average of nearly two years. While the total processing time varies depending on an applicant’s location as well as other circumstances and policy changes, the vetting time – from the refugee’s initial UNHCR referral to his or her arrival in the U.S. –has averaged approximately 18 to 24 months in recent years.
Why do refugees come to California?
The primary desire of newly-arrived refugees is to gain the ability to provide for themselves and their families as they establish themselves in California.
How are refugees selected for resettlement?
Following a referral for possible resettlement, UNHCR resettlement staff verifies the registration and refugee status of the case referred, and will set up an appointment for a resettlement interview. The resettlement interview will include all family members in the case, and an interpreter if needed.