Who were the famous playwrights?
Best Playwrights of all Time
- William Shakespeare. 1564 – 1616 (England)
- Anton Chekhov. 1860 – 1904 (Russia)
- Sophocles. 497 – 406 BC (Greece)
- Arthur Miller. 1915 – 2005 (America)
- Henrik Ibsen. 1828 – 1906 (Norway)
- Samuel Beckett. 1856 – 1950 (Ireland)
- Moliere. 1622 – 1673 (France)
- Tennessee Williams. 1911 – 1983 (America)
What was the first name of playwright?
The art of writing plays for the stage is an ancient one and some of the earliest known playwrights were from ancient Greece. The best known playwright of all time is undoubtedly William Shakespeare, the 16th century English writer.
Who is the second most famous playwright?
Choosing the best playwrights of all time is a challenging task, but without further ado, here are the selected top 5:
- 5 – Oscar Wilde. One of the West End’s most popular writers in the 1890s, Oscar Wilde was an Irish poet and playwright.
- 4 – Arthur Miller.
- 3 – Anton Chekhov.
- 2 – Henrik Ibsen.
- 1 – William Shakespeare.
Who is the most famous playwright in English?
William Shakespeare is widely regarded as greatest writer of the English language, and the world’s greatest dramatist. He wrote over 39 plays, 154 sonnets, three long narrative poems, and many other works.
Who is the greatest American playwright?
Through most of the 20th century, there was no contest for the title of America’s greatest playwright. Eugene O’Neill’s standing appeared to be secure not merely in theatrical and intellectual circles but also among the middlebrows: he was awarded four Pulitzer Prizes and won the Nobel for good measure.
What is the name of the most famous English playwright?
1 William Shakespeare English playwright, poet, and actor William Shakespeare is widely regarded as the greatest writer in the English language. He is also often called England’s national poet.
Who was the most brilliant playwright of 19th century?
19th Century Playwrights
- 1 Oscar Wilde. 54 16. Famous As: Poet, Playwright.
- 2 Victor Hugo. 32 6. Famous As: Novelist & Poet.
- 3 Johann Wolfgang von Goethe. 24 6. Famous As: Poet, Playwright, Novelist.
- 4 George Bernard Shaw. 24 8.
- 5 Anton Chekhov. 23 6.
- 6 Alexander Pushkin. 21 6.
- 7 Henrik Ibsen. 25 6.
- 8 Nikolai Gogol. 19 5.
Who were the top 3 English Renaissance playwrights?
Many scholars consider the works of Marlowe, Jonson and Shakespeare to be the greatest in theater history. Productions of their plays have remained popular since the 16th century, and continue to constitute a large portion of live theater repertoire.
Who was the most famous 18th century playwright?
Famous 18th Century Playwrights
- 1 Johann Wolfgang von Goethe. 24 6. Famous As: Poet, Playwright, Novelist.
- 2 Friedrich Schiller. 20 4. Famous As: Poet, Playwright.
- 3 Walter Scott. 19 4.
- 4 Olympe de Gouges. 18 4.
- 5 Pierre-Augustin Caron de Beaumarchais. 16 3.
- 6 Oliver Goldsmith. 17 3.
- 7 Carlo Goldoni. 14 3.
- 8 John Burgoyne. 17 3.